Setting, a personal goal around a specific issue related to your eating and activity is in many ways crucial to keep you motivated on a day-to-day basis. In this way, you will have an opportunity to think about what you want to achieve before you move on to the next step.
Your personal goal may be, “I will walk for 45 minutes for 2 days a week for the next 3 weeks”
Goal setting is crucial to your success.
It gives you something definite to work towards and plan around. It also gives you something to measure your progress with.
3 things to remember while setting your personal goals each week
- Make sure your goal is reasonable. People working on losing weight sometimes set goals that are unrealistically high, which makes good progress appear insignificant. This article on SMART goals will help.
- Reward yourself. Rewards will help you remain motivated to complete each goal. A good list to choose from is given below. Of course, rewards should not upset your weight loss goals!
- Learn to be your own biggest fan. Even a few kind words to yourself, or feeling good about your own body, is a reward. Sometimes, you can be tempted to think of the changes you are creating in your life as very small or trivial when compared to how far you have left to go.
Flummoxed by how to do this? See this list of good goals and non-food rewards to choose from for inspiration.
List of good goals and rewards to choose from
- “I will take a walk for atleast 30 minutes for 5 evening this week. As a reward, I will buy myself a new magazine that I have been wanting to check out for some time.”
- “I will spend 20 minutes to make my meal and activity plan for the week this Saturday evening. As a reward, I will go for a walk in a park with my best friend.”
- “I will keep track of my eating and activity each day. To give myself a treat for doing this, I will visit a museum this weekend.”
- “I will make sure I eat breakfast for 3 days this week. And if I can successfully follow this, I will watch a film that I have been wanting to watch.”
- “I will swap low-fibre white rice with high-fibre flour rotis for my dinner tonight. As a reward, I will having a long, relaxing hot bath.”